Wednesday, December 17, 2014

20-11 Usisng WOULD to make wishes about the future. EXCERCISE 29. 30. 31.


WHEN SPEAKERS WANT SOMETHING TO HAPPEN IN THE FUTURE AND THINK IT IS POSSIBLE, THE USUALLY USE HOPE TO INTRODUCE THIER IDEA:
 I HOPE THEY COME. I HOPE THEY WILL COME .
 WHEN THEY WANT SOMETHING TO HAPPEN BUT THINK IT IS PROBABLE NOT POSSIBLE, THEY PROBABLE USE WISH :
I WISH THEY WOULD COME.

A COMMON MISTAKE IS THE USE OF WILL IN THE NOUN CLAUSE FOLLOWING WISH:
   INCORRECT:    I WISH THEY WILL COME.

EXERCISE 29 Using WOULD to make wishes. page 434

Example:
Tom: Why are you watching the telephone?
 Sue : I am waiting to hear from Sam. I want him to call me. I need to talk to him right now. We had an argument. I need to make sure everything's okay.
Tom: Watching the phone will make it ring, you know.

a) What does Sue want to happen in the near future? ( Use wish+ would)
 She wishes Sam would call her. SHe wishes she could talk to Sam right now.
She probable wishes she and Sam had not had an argument.
b) What else does Sue wish?
 She wishes the phone would ring.

1. Rita: It is raining. I want to go for a walk, but not in the rain.
    Yoko: I want the rain to stop, too.
a) What does Rita want to happen in the near future? Rita wishes that it would stop raining.
b) What does Yoko wish? Yoko also wishes it would stop raining.

2. Anna: Can not you come to the concert? Please change your mind. I would really like you , to come.
 Yoko: No, I can not. I have to work.
 a) What does Anna want Yoko to do?  Anna wishes Yoko would come to the concert. Anna wishes Yoko would change her mind.
b) What else does Anna wish? Anna wishes Yoko would change her mind.

3. Bob's mother : DO you really like how you look with a beard?
Bob: Yes.
Bob's mother: Do not you want to shave it off?
Bob: Nope.
a) What does Bob's mother want Bob to do? Bob's mother wishes he would shave off his beard.
b) What does Bob probably wish? Bob probably wishes his mother would not try to tell him what to do.

4. Helen is neat and orderly person. Jude, her  roommate, is messy. Judy never picks up after herself. She leaves dirty dishes in the sink. She drops her clothes all over the apartment. She clutters the apartment with her stuff everywhere. She never makes her bed. Helen nags Judy to pick up after herself.
a) What does Helen want Judy to do?  Helen wishes Judy would pick up after herself, wash her dirty dishes, pick up her clothes and other stuff, and make her bed.
b) What does Judy probably wish? Judy probably wishes Helen would not nag her to pick up after herself.

____________________________________________________________________________
Exercise 30. WISH page 435

1. We need some help. I wish Alfred were here now. If he were ,we could finish this work very quickly.

2. We had a good time in Houston over vacation. I wish you had come with us. If you had come with us, you would have had a good time.

3. I wish it were not so cold today. If it were not so cold , I could go swimming.

4. I missed part of the lecture because I was daydreaming, and now my notes are incomplete. I wish I had paid more attention to the lecturer.

5.A: Did you study for that test?
B: No, but now I wish I had because I flunked it.

6. A: Is the noise from the TV in the next apartment bothering you?
B:Yes, I am trying to study. I wish I would turn it down.

7. A: What a beautiful day! I wish I were lying in the sun by a swimming pool instead of sitting in a classroom.
B: I wish I were anywhere but here!

8. A: I wish we did not have to go to work today.
   B: So do I. I wish it were a  holiday.

9. A: He could not have said that! That is impossible. You must have misunderstood him.
   B: I only wish I had, but I am sure I heard him correctly.

10. Alice does not like her job as a nurse. She wishes she had not gone to nursing school.

11. A: I know that something's  bothering you. I wish you would tell me what it is.Maybe I can help.
     B: I appreciate it, but I can not discuss it now.

12. A: My feet are killing me! I wish I were wearing more comfortable shoes.
  B: Yeah, me too. I wish I had known that we were going to have to walk this much.
 __________________________________________________________________________


Exercise 31. Using WISH page 436

1. Where do you wish you were right now? What do you wish you were doing?
2. Are you pleased with the weather today, or do you wish it were different?
3. Look around this room. What do you wish were different?
4. Is there anything you wish were different about the place you are living?
5. What do you wish were different about this town?
6. What do you wish were different about this country?
7. What do you wish were different about a student's life? about a worker's life?
8. Where do you wish you could go on your next vaction?
9. Your friend gave you his phone number, but you did not write it down because you thoght you would remember it.Now you have forgotten the number. What do you wish?

_____________________________________________________________________________


No comments:

Post a Comment