Monday, December 15, 2014

20-7 OMITTING IF

 Omitting IF  page 424 Chapter 20

a) Were I you, I would not do that.
b) Had I know, I would have told you.
c) Should anyone call, please take a message.

With were, had( past perfect), and should,sometimes if is omitted and the subject and verb are inverted.

In a): Were I you= if I were you.
In b): Had I known= if I had known.
In c): Should anyone call= if anyone should call.


Exercise 17. Omitting If ( Chart 20-7)

1. If you should need more money, go to the bank before six o clock.
  Should you need more money, go to the bank before six o clock.

2. If I were you, I would not do that.
    Were I you, I would not do that.

3. If they had realized the danger, they would have done it differently.
    Had they realized the danger, you do better work.

4. If I were your teacher, I would insist you do better work.
    Were I your teacher, I would insist you do  better work.

5. If you should change your mind, please let me know immediately.
   Should you change your mind, please let me know immediately.

6. She would have gotten the job if she had been better prepared.
     Had she been better prepared, she would have gotten the job.

7. Your boss sounds like a real tyrant. If I were you, I would look for another job.
    Were I you, I would look for another job.

8. I will be out of the county until June 12. If you should need to reach me, I will be at the Hilton       Hotel in Seoul.
   Should you need to reach me I will be at the Hilton Hotel in Seoul.

9. The artists and creative thinkers throughout the history of the world have change all of our lives. If they had not dared to be different, the history of civilization would have to be rewritten.
  Had they don't dared to be different, the history of civilization would have to be rewritten.

10.If there should be a global nuclear war, life on earth as we know if would and forever.
Should there be a global nuclear war, life on earth as we know if would and forever.

   








No comments:

Post a Comment