Monday, December 15, 2014

USING MIXED TIME in conditional senttences.

Frequently the time in the   if clause and the time in the result clause are different: one clause may be in the resent and the other in the past. Notice that past and present times are mixed in these sentences.

a) TRUE:                      I did not eat breakfast several hours ago, so I am hungry now.
b) CONDITIONAL:     If I had eaten breakfast several hours ago, I would not be hungry now.

c) TRUE:                      He is not a good student. He did not study for the test yesterday.
d)CONDITIONAL:      If he were a good student, he would have studied for the test yesterday.

EXERCISE 16 Using mixed time in conditional sentences ( Chart 20-6)

1. I am hungry now because I did not eat dinner. But if I had eaten dinner, I would not be hungry now.

2. The room is full of flies because you left the door open.  But if you had not left the door open, the room would not be full of flies.

3. You are tired this morning because you did not  go to bed at a reasonable hour last night. But if you had gone to bed  at a reasonable hour last night you would not be tired this morning.

4. I did not finish my report yesterday, so I can not begin a new project today. But if I had finished my report yesterday, I could begin a new project today.

5. Anita is sick because she did not follow the doctor's orders. But if she had followed the doctor's orders, Anita would not be sick  today.

6. I am not you, so I did not tell him the truth. But if I were you, I would have told him the truth.

7. I do not know anything about plumbing, so I  did not fix the leak in the sink myself. But if I had knew  anything about plumbing I would fix the leak in the sink myself.

8. I received a good job offer from the oil company, so I will not seriously consider taking the job with the electronics firm. But if I had not received a good job offer from the oil company, I would seriously consider taking the job with the electronics firm.









No comments:

Post a Comment