Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Verb forms following WISH exercise 26. 27. 28

Wish is used when the speaker wants reality to be different, to be exactly the opposite.

A wish about the future.
a)  She will not tell me
 I wish that she would tell me.
b) He is not going to be here.
 I wish he were going to be here.
c)  She can not come tomorrow.
 I wish she could come tomorrow.

A wish about the present.
d)  I do not know French.
 I wish I knew French.
e) It is raining right now.
 I wish it were not raining right now.
f)  I can not speak Japanese.
 I wish I could speak Japanese.

A wish about the past.
g)  John did not come.
  I wish John had come.
h)  Mary could not come.
  I wish Mary could have come.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOUN clause verbs following wish are in a past form. The past form signifies contrary to fact - just as it does in conditional sentences in if- clauses. Discuss verb relationships:

"true" sitation -------   "wish" situation
Simple present  ------ Simple past
Present Progressive---Simple past
Simple Past-------------Past Progressive
Present Perfect---------Past Perfect
Will--------------------- Would
Am/Is/Are going to ---Was/Were going to
Can-----------------------Could
Could+Simple Form---Could Have+ past perticiple

WISH can also be followed by an infinitive, I wish to know the results of the test as soon as possible. In this instance, wish is usually a more formal way of saying want,or a more direct ( possible impolite or imperious) way of saying would like.  

The subjunctive use of WERE instead of WAS with I/he/she/it is considered formal by some, standard by others.

SOME teachers like to compare HOPE and WISH. :))
_________________________________________________________________________________


Exercise 26. Verb forms following WISH.

1. Our classroom does not have any windows. I wish our classroom had windows.
2. The sun is not shining. I wish the sun were shining.
3. I did not go shopping. I wish I had gone shopping.
4. I do not know how to dance. I wish I knew how to dance.
5. You did not tell them about it. I wish you had told them about it.
6. It is cold today. I am not wearing a coat. I wish I were wearing a coat.
7. I do not have enough money to buy that book. I wish I had enough money.
8. Elena is tired because she went to bed late last night. She wishes she had gone to bed earlier last night.
9. I can not go with you tomorrow, but I wish he could.
10. My friend will not ever lend me his car. I wish he would lend me his car for my date tomorrow night.
11. Mrs.Takasawa is not coming to dinner with us tonight. I wish she were coming to dinner with us.
12. The teacher is going to give and exam tomorrow. I wish she were not going to give us an exam tomorrow.
13. You can not meet my parents. I wish you could meet them.
14. Khalid did not come to the meeting. I wish he had come to the meeting.
15. I am not lying on a beach in Hawaii. I wish I were lying on a beach in Hawaii.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Exercise 27. Activity: verb forms following WISH
Discuss the questions.

1. What is something you can not do, but you wish you could do?
2. What is you wish you were doing right now?
3. What is something you do not have but wish you had?
4. What is something that did not happen yesterday, but that you wish had happened?
5. What is something that has never happened in your life but that you wish would happen?
6. What is something that happened in your life, but that you wish had not happen?
7. What is something you have to do but wish you did not have to do?
8. What is something that will not happen tomorrow, but that you wish would happen?
9. What is something you do not know but wish you knew?
10. What is something you were unable to do yesterday, but you wish you could have done?

_____________________________________________________________________________

Exercise 28 page 433

1. I am not at home, but I wish I WERE.
2. I do not know her, but I wish I DID.
3. I can not sing well, but I wish I COULD .
4. I did not go, but I wish I HAD.
5. He will not talk about it, but I wish he WOULD.
6. I did not read that book, but I wish I HAD.
7. I want to go, but I can not. I wish I COULD.
8. I do not have a bicycle, but I wish I DID.
9. He did not buy a ticket to the game, but he wishes he HAD.
10. She can not speak English, but she wishes she COULD.
11. It probable will not happen, but I wish it WOULD.
12. He is not old enough to drive a car, but he wishes he WERE.
13. They did not go to the movie, but they wish they HAD. ( why is Had not Have?)
14. I do not have a driver license, but I wish I DID.
15. I am not living in an apartment, but I wish I WERE.


































1 comment:

  1. You have such an interesting blog. Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed reading your posts. All the best for your future blogging journey.

    ReplyDelete