20- 8 IMPLIED CONDITIONS
a) I would have gone with you, but I had to study.
b) I never would have succeeded without your help.
OFTEN the IF clause is implied, not stated. Conditional verbs are still used in the result clauses.
In a) the implied condition= if I had not had to study.
In b) the implied condtion= if you had not helped me.
c) She ran; otherwise, she would have missed her bus. CONDITIONAL verbs are frequently used following otherwise In c) the implied if clause= if she had not run.
Exercise 18. Implied conditions. ( Chart 20-8) page 425
1. I would have visited you, but I did not know that you were at home.
I would have visited you if I had known you were at home.
2. It would not have been a good meting without Rosa.
It would not have been a good meeting if Rosa had not been there.
3. I would have answered the phone,but I did not hear it ring.
I would have answered the phone if I had heard it ring.
4. I could not have finished the work without your help.
I could not have finished the work if you had not helped.
5. I like to travel. I would have gone to Nepal last summer,but I did not have enough money.
I would have gone to Nepal last summer if I had had enough money.
6. I stepped on the brakes. Otherwise, I would have hit the child on the bicycle.
If I had not stepped on the brakes, I would have hit the child on the bicycle.
7. Olga turned down the volume on the tape player. Otherwise, the neighbors probable would have called to complain about the noise.
If Olga had not tuned down the volume on the tape player, the neighbors probably would have called to complain about the noise.
8. Tarek would have finished his educcation, but he had to quit school and find a job in order to support his family.
Tarek would have finished his education if he had not had to quit school and find a job.
1. I would have finished my report before I left work yesterday, but I did not have time.
2. I could not have paid for my trip to New Zealand without my parents help.
3. I would buy a Ferrari, but I do not have enough money.
4. I ran out of time. Otherwise, I would have finished my report before the meeting.
5. I could go to an Italian restaurant with my friends tonight, but I do not want to.
6. Without water, all life on earth would die.
7. I would have gone to the meeting, but I did not know it..
8. I set my alarm for six every morning. Otherwise, I would be late to work.
9. I set my alarm for six this morning. Otherwise, I would have been late to work
10. I would have inveted your brother to join us for dinner, but I did not know he was in town.
Exercise 20 page 426 Review Conditional sentences.
Encourage the use of contraction( would not had not )
1. If I could speak Japanese, I could spend next year studying in Japan.
2. Had I known Mr. Jung was in the hospital I would have sent him a note and some flowers.
3. we will move into our new house next month if it is complete by then.
4. It is too bad that it is snowing. If it were not snowing, we could go for a drive.
5. I was very tired. Otherwise, I would have gone to the party with you last night.
6. I am glad I have so many friends and such a wonderful family. Life without friends or family would be lonely for me.
7. My grandfather is no longer alive but if he were, I am sure he would be proud of me.
8. If you had not been sleeping last night when we arrived, I would have asked you to go with us, but I did not want to wake you up.
9. Bill has such a bdd memory that he would forget his head if it were not attached to his body.
10. According to one report, the average hen lays 247 eggs a year, and average person eats 255 eggs a year. If hens did not outnumber people, the average person could not eat 255 eggs a year.
11.A: What would you be doing right now if you were not in class?
B:I would be sleeping
12. A: Boy, is it ever hot today!
B: You said it! If there were only a breeze, it would not be quite so unbearable.
13. A: Why is not Peggy Anderson in class today?
B: I do not know, but I am sure she would not be absent unless she had a good reason.
14. A: Hi. Sorry I am late.
B:That is okay.
A: I would have been here sooner, but I had car trouble.
15. A: Want to ride on the roller coaster?
B" No way! I would not ride on the roller coaster even if you paid me a million dollars!
16. A: Hi, Pat. Come on in.
B: Oh, I did not know you had company. I would not have come if I had know someone was here.
17. A: Are you coming to the party?
B: I do not think so, but if I change my mind, I will tell you.
Exercise 21 Review conditional sentences.
1. If it had not rained yesteday, we would have had our barbecue outdoors.
2. If it were not raining, we would be going to the park today.
3. You would have passed the test had you studied for it.
4. Otherwise, we would have missed the turn.
5. Wighout electricity, modern life would be very different.
6. If you had not reminded me about the meeting tonight, I would have forgotten about it.
7. Should you need any help, please ask me for assistance.
8. If I could choose any profession I wanted,I would be a marine biologist.
9. If I were at home right now, I would be taking a nap.
10. Without your help yesterday, I would not have finished painting the kitchen.
11. Were I you, I would finish my degree before returning home.
12. What would you do if you had a chance to go to the moon?
13. If I had the chance to live my childhood over again, I would keep a diary.
14. Had I known the test would be so easy, I would not have stayed up late studying for it.
15. Can you imagine what life would be like if humans had never invented the wheel?